When you own your own home, taking on projects
yourself just comes naturally. This works fine for installing new shelving or
painting the walls, but some projects should be left to the professionals.
Installing electrical devices on your own can be potentially dangerous, and
compromising your safety is not worth saving a little bit of money. Here’s a
closer look at the dangers of installing electrical devices on your own.
Electric shock is the leading cause of job
site injuries and death among construction workers, and they are trained
professionals with proper equipment. When a homeowner attempts to do electrical
work on their own, the risk of electrical shock goes up exponentially. Unless
you’re trained in electrical work, it’s easy to unknowingly touch or work on
live wires or components that have the potential to shock. It’s not worth
risking your life.
Not only are you risking your life when doing
electrical work on your own, but you could be potentially risking your entire
home. Electrical wires that are not connected properly could spark, setting off
a potentially devastating fire in your home. The majority of house fires are
caused by malfunctioning electronics, so attempting to repair or install new
electronics without experience increases the risk of fire.
Voiding Your Insurance Policy
Not only could doing electrical work on your
own be dangerous, but it could also be extremely expensive if problems occur.
Most home insurance companies will not cover damage caused by home electrical
repairs or installation. Only work done by trained professionals is covered,
which could leave you with a large repair bill in the event of a fire sparked
by DIY electrical work.
It’s not worth the risk! If you need anything
electrical installed or repaired in your home, leave it to the professionals.
Call Power Up Electric for all your home electrical needs.